Thursday, March 22, 2012

sometimes you just have to laugh

Aren't the curve balls life throws us just insane sometimes? This story begins on Thursday night, you know the one where I had all the baking to do. When we got home from the scrimmage I was a little nauseous and my stomach was a little achy. You know me, I had too much to do, so I ignored it. Friday morning, I was not feeling so hot, like fluish. I sat around all day, getting ready for the movie night, and doing a variety of household chores. Honestly, I was trying to get my house semi-clean because I was convinced something was really wrong with me and my mom would have to come take care of the girls, so I had to clean. By the time I went to the movie night, I told Mike something was wrong. I am one of those people though, I think I am dying if I have a pain. I convinced myself that I was probably "backed up" or something. TMI, I know, but it's the truth. When we got home I leaned over my bed to give HG a kiss and ended up sleeping in my clothes and not budging all night. I cannot tell you the last time I slept ALL NIGHT, it was huge. Saturday morning, I couldn't move. I had really talked myself into the idea that I had appendicitis, but was trying to make it go away. After talking to the health professionals in the fam, Mike and I decided it would be best to go ahead and go to the walk-in clinic. My most amazing next door neighbor took the girls and off we went.

We have a super nice emergency walk-in clinic right by our house, so glad. We filled out paperwork and sat and waited for the nurse on base to call and say it was ok for me to be seen. I must say I was quite annoyed by the time I got off the phone with her. I know it is there job, but no, I do not have a drinking problem and the whites of my eyes are just fine!! We finally got in a room and the PA evaluated me and told us the game plan. He wanted to make sure everything was ok with my appendix so I would drink some contrast, wait an hour and have a ct scan. During this time they would give me an iv with fluids and pain medicine. At this point, I wanted to run out the door. IV's are my least favorite thing!! They can never find a vein and I am always black and blue for weeks to follow. Well, this time could have possibly been the worst. It took 2 people an hour to finally get an iv in. Of course, it was because I was dehydrated. Once they got the iv in and taped down, I had an allergic reaction to latex. What? Everything, the tape, the tubing, everything was latex and I was getting blisters everywhere. Once they got that fixed the waiting began. An hour passed, they took me to xray to have my scan. I am pretty sure I was drooling, those pain meds were no joke!! After the scan, we waited for the radiologist to read it and give us the results. The PA walked in and said that my entire right side was so inflamed that my appendix was not even visible in the scan. Mike could either drive me or I go could go by ambulance downtown to the hospital and the surgeon would be waiting on us in the ER. Umm, I still cannot to this day, describe to you how I felt. I was overwhelmed by so many emotions. What if I didn't wake up? Were the girls ok? How many times had Mady been in time-out? Who was going to take care of the girls if Mike had to work? Why is this happening??? This was one of those things you never imagine happening to you. When someone gives you this information things get real, really fast.
We got to the hospital and were greeted by 2 nurses and within the minute the surgeon was by my side telling me what all they would be doing. They wheeled me upstairs, the "sleep" dr. asked me a few questions and I was asleep. They didn't even give me time to think about what was going on, thank goodness. I seriously was unconscious 15 minutes after arriving.

When I woke up I don't really remember much. Mike was there and so was Meggan. I just remember being so, so hungry and no one would let me eat. Let me tell you, pain meds and a hungry girl don't go great together. I sent Mike home because I knew the girls were needing him and there was really nothing he could do for me. The next morning he left the girls with Meggan and came back to the hospital with me. The surgeon came in and explained to me what happened.

He explained to me that a piece of fat had twisted itself around my abdominal wall and was cutting off the circulation. He said that I have an incredible pain tolerance because it was excruciating pain. Yay me!! He also repaired a hernia, and removed my appendix. He then proceeded to tell me I could go home and do a bunch of nothing for the next couple of weeks. Apparently, someone forgot to tell him I have 3 children.

March 17: GREEN
I sat in my hospital bed, drugged up and all searching for something green. Believe it or not, the only green thing in my room was this light in front of me.
March 18: A CORNER OF YOUR HOUSE
My little corner for the next couple of weeks.
This has been one of the craziest things I have ever, ever experienced. The recovery has been horrible. Mucho props to those of you who have had C-Sections. Incisions on your tummy are one big deal!! I want to brag once again on the medical facilities and professionals here in Charleston. Unbelievable, all of them. I have been so impressed by every dr. we have ever had to see. My surgeon had a bow tie on when he released me, love it!! Thank you all for your prayers!! I am so blessed to be surrounded by so many people who care about me. I love you all!!!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment