Saturday, December 7, 2013

Journey to the BEST summer ever

When Mike found out he was deploying, we made the decision that I should go home for the summer to be with family.  We bought plane tickets to leave the day after Audrey got out of school (we weren't anxious or anything).  I kept in the back of my mind there was always a possibility of catching a Space A flight(military flight we could catch a ride on).  To catch a Space A flight, there are lots of things that have to fall into place.  Low and behold there was a flight to Little Rock AFB 2 days before we were supposed to leave.  Can you say epic?  I wasn't guaranteed we could get on, but I knew if we had a chance I would be pulling all nighters trying to get everyone ready.  I checked roll call the day of the flight and there were no seats.  Bummer!  That was ok because we already had tickets.  Well, when your husband works in the port, he usually can pull some strings (even when you don't know about it).
After all, I really had too much left to do before we would need to leave.  I hopped in the shower and got out to my phone ringing.  My husband was on the other line telling me to get in the car and drive to the AFB, they thought they could get me on the flight.  Umm, what?  So that's what I did.  I started throwing things in suitcases, threw the girls in the car, picked Audrey up and headed to the AFB.  We got to the counter and they said the crew agreed to let us fly.  You have to keep in mind things like this never happen to me, so I was freaking out!  We got all our bags checked and got ready to go through security.  That's when I realized I had flip flops on, and they are a huge no no on military flights.  They had to go and get my suitcase off the plane, bring it to me, and let me find some closed toe shoes.  Talk about embarrassing!  Not only the appearance, but the fact that my husband works there and I made them do so much extra work!  Anywho, we got on the plane and were off on our adventure!!

Fashion statement or stupidity?

MP was a little nervous!  We sat in jump seats, just like you see in the movies and on t.v.

The crew was absolutely incredible!  Audrey got to sit in the cock pit the majority of the flight.  They actually sent me this picture after we landed.

Can you tell I am still in shock?

I can honestly say, this was one of the most incredible experiences I will ever have.  I can't wait until next time!!  Hopefully, it's to Europe!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment